Our Mission: The African Library Project changes lives book by book, together with partners in Africa and North American volunteers, to create, improve, and sustain libraries in African communities.
Our Vision: expand opportunities by creating spaces that nurture literacy.
Why Organize a Book Drive with the African Library Project?
• Too many African children grow up without books, while U.S. bookshelves and landfills overflow with books no longer read.
• In many of the communities we serve, young people have little to no access to reading materials beyond textbooks (when provided).
• We serve Anglophone countries where students are tested in English for standardized exams that are required for advancement. However, these students lack books to support their reading development.
• Reading fosters critical thinking skills and creativity.
• Teachers in many rural areas may teach reading, writing, math and English without a single book to use as a resource.
Our volunteers in the United States and Canada organize book drives by rallying their communities to collect gently used children’s books and raise funds for shipping. Thanks to our international network of partners, volunteers, and community supporters, these donated books are transformed into sustainable community-based libraries. Here’s how we do it!
We partner with local organizations in Africa to find and vet schools and communities in need of books.
We mobilize volunteers and match each U.S. or Canadian book drive to an approved African school or community.
Working with our partners, we ship and distribute each library to the recipient school and provide support and training for sustainability.
African Library Project – 2022: Malawi, Alinane Junior Academy and Dunduzu Primary School Being a part of the African Library Project taught us to be more considerate, organized, and thoughtful. Knowing that the books we have collected will benefit children's...
A collection of student's own narratives about reading and their school's ALP library. Stories collected from January - March 2022. "The organization and cleanness of the library, plus the availability of a wide range of books, are enough to make reading my favorite...
African Library Project, Uganda, Bukeda Union Vision Nursery and Primary School, 2021 Knowing that the books we send you may be the first time you hold and experience them builds a bond between us over an ocean and thousands of miles. It makes us very proud and gives...