The Malden Writers' Collaborative African Library Project
The African Library Project brings gently used books to an African community that has lots of eager readers but very few books. Please help by collecting and delivering gently used books or by raising money to help pay for shipping to Africa. It only takes 1000 books and $500 to start a single library (and a little elbow grease!)
This book drive is organized by ...
The Malden Writers' Collaborative! We are a group of creative people from the local community interested in helping each other grow and develop into better writers. We are all as different as our writing styles, chosen genres, and writing projects, and we are as serious about getting down to business as we are about enjoying each other's company!
Our website link:
We want to start a library in Africa because...
We are writers. Our work would be nothing without readers. None of us would be interested in writing if we hadn't fallen in love with words we once read. Writers will always be indebted to people who want to read and who can read. If our writing collaborative can help one person, one family, or one community become invested in reading, we have successfully passed on the ultimate gift that someone once passed onto us. We have a symbiotic relationship, readers and writers: more readers means more writers, and more writers means more readers. Our hope is reading will inspire a new generation of writers in Africa. Reading shouldn't be a luxury, and we're eager and dedicated to help increase literacy in communities that need it the most.
About our African Partners...
We are collecting books for Konya Community Library. This school has 1,000 students and is in the Asanti Region of Ghana.
Please contribute these kinds of books...
For our book drive, we are primarily requesting books at the U.S. pre-school to 6th grade reading levels, but we are looking for books for the community as well. Here is a specific list of books appropriate for donation:
- Baby board books
- Children’s picture books
- Children’s fiction and non-fiction
- Early readers
- BIG books
- Teacher's resource books for school libraries
- Children’s dictionaries/picture dictionaries
- Encyclopedias less than 15 years old
- Children’s encyclopedias/picture encyclopedias
- Children’s thesauruses
- Paperback textbooks in math, English, geography, health, and science at appropriate level (kindergarten to 6th grade)
- Books with universal themes (friendships, animals, love)
- Children’s health books
- Accurate up-to-date atlases
- Books about Africa or African-Americans
- Educational children's science and literary magazines in good condition
- Brain teasers, flash cards, educational games and puzzles
- Juvenile literature
- Math books from 6th grade up, including algebra, geometry, and pre-calculus, English books (focusing on grammar or comprehension), geography books, health books, science books including general science, biology, chemistry, and physics at appropriate level. Send no more than two copies of any textbook, these will be used as a teacher resource
- Books like Chicken Soup for the Soul (inspiring stories with life skills lessons)
- Educational kids science and literary magazines in good condition
- Animal husbandry
- Current events
- National Geographic, less than 5 years old, especially with articles featuring Africa
Here's how you can contribute your books...
Contact Evangeline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We need to raise funds for shipping the books...
|You can transfer money quickly and safely online using PayPal:|
If you'd prefer to mail funds, please contact Evangeline at email@example.com.
Here are some ways that you can help...
Donate books, donate money, ask friends, family, coworkers, and others to donate books or money -- word of mouth can go a long way! :)
Contact us to find out more
A BIG thank you to:
Tips for Other Book Drive Organizers
Share this Book Drive Page
About the African Library Project
Learn more about the African Library Project at http://www.africanlibraryproject.org.