Kenyasi No. 1
The African Library Project brings gently used books to an African community that has lots of eager readers but very few books. Please help by collecting and delivering gently used books or by raising money to help pay for shipping to Africa. It only takes 1000 books and $500 to start a single library (and a little elbow grease!)
Tips for Other Book Drive Organizers
- It might be more than $200 for domestic shipping, so be prepared. We avoided lines by going to a post office open late at night.
- If you're having a bake sale, cupcakes, 7 layer bars and anything chocolate sell well!
- Be clear with donors about where rejected books might go if they don't get accepted for the library. We said we'd give ours to the Friends of SF Public Library, where most of our donors would have sent their books anyway.
- We had the best luck when we asked individuals rather than institutions for support.
- Arranging for book drop-offs rather than pick-ups helps avoid donations of inappropriate books, but we didn't mind helping friends and neighbors with their spring cleaning for a good cause.
Share this Book Drive Page
About the African Library Project
Learn more about the African Library Project at http://www.africanlibraryproject.org.
You can 'like' us at http://facebook.com/africanlibraryproject - get updates, inspiration and more!